8 Vitamins for Your Pet
Vitamins that are good for humans aren’t necessarily so for pets although many can help. If you decide to give your cat or dog supplements, be sure to consult with your veterinarian who can tell you definitively what works and what doesn’t for your pet.
Following is a list of the vitamins and supplements DVMs (Doctor of Veterinary Medicine) commonly prescribe to help treat diseases in both felines and canines:
- Vitamin C – Fights both the aging process and cancer. It is also excellent for treating arthritis and urinary tract infections.
- Vitamin A – Promotes healthy skin and coats.
- Vitamin E – Relieves the discomfort of arthritis and cancer.
- Glucosamine and chondroitin – Taken together, both can rebuild the damaged cartilage and lost joint fluid in arthritic animals.
- Ginger – Reduces inflammation and gastric problems and alleviates the symptoms associated with car sickness.
- Slippery elm – Quells stomach pains; can also be used as a cough suppressant.
- Omega-3 fatty acids – Can help treat major ailments such as heart and kidney disease, cancer and arthritis.
- Echinacea – Boosts an animal’s immune system so that it can fight infections and disease.
Regardless of what your veterinarian recommends for your cat or dog, it’s still important that you familiarize yourself with the vitamin or supplement by reading the label and that you stick to the recommended dosage. And remember: just because something is natural, it doesn’t mean that it’s 100% safe. Always monitor your pet closely after you give him or her any new type of vitamin or supplement to make sure that there is no allergic reaction.
If you think that your furry, four-legged pal could benefit from vitamins or supplements, talk to the DVMs at Wells Branch Pet and Bird Clinic. We’ll be happy to tell you what works and what doesn’t with your particular kind of cat or dog because we’re the animal clinic that cares.
Photo credit: Getideaka
Republished by Blog Post Promoter
Thank you for reading our article – 8 Vitamins for Your Pet